Sunday, August 9, 2009

Conclusions


As many of you know, Garren and I are currently on our honeymoon prior to our arrival for our new life in Marrakech (don't get me started on how freaked out I am about that).

It's been a great time so far with a 3 night stay in New York, followed by 2 days in Paris and we're now based in Blois, France in the Loire Valley for a 3 day stay which includes biking to various chateaux. It's been tiring so far and I'm still a little stressed out by everything that is ahead and everything that we left behind, but we're having a lovely time none the less.

Today, however, I came to a realization about the type of couple Garren and I are. Garren and I have always been avid fans of the Amazing Race. I've always insisted that we could do a great job if we were to get on the show. Garren has always insisted that it would be a bad idea. Today I take back my opinion and agree with him and here is why:
  1. I get cranky when I'm tired. Garren calls it MFS (McCann Fatigue Syndrome) and it can be intense. Really it's like having a two year old who's missed her nap time. Exhibit A: the above photo. Exibit B: Our trip from NY to Paris involved us being up over 24 hours in order to acclimate to the time difference. If I had to do clues and run around a city doing puzzles after all that I'd probably break down into tears or make a huge amount of mistakes that would result in us getting eliminated
  2. Garren is easily annoyed when we are lost. Exhibit A: Today upon arriving in Blois we did not have detailed directions to the hotel. We had a vague map provided by the tour company, a street name (no number), and a map of the town was available close to the train station. At one point I thought we were going the wrong way. We were a little off but generally going in the right direction. I was wrong, Garren was right...I admit it, however, Garren was immediately pissed off about the whole thing. We got there in one piece and it wasn't too traumatic, but really not a relaxing walk to our hotel.
  3. Neither of us want to ask for help/directions
  4. Neither of us likes being out of our element or not understanding the language.
  5. Garren is hugely competitive. I am not.
All of these things point in the general direction that the Amazing Race is to be enjoyed via tv and not as a game. I will never mention applying again. Watching and mocking others for making mistakes while deprived of sleep is just fine by me.

More to come on our travels. Keep an eye on Garren's blog. I swear he'll write something soon.

3 comments:

  1. Aw our duck and mr duck!

    about two days after you left it really hit me and then I was super sad. it takes a little while for me to catch up with events. but I'm glad you're having fun (?) on your honeymoon and I want to hear all about paris.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It didn't even really hit me until we left NY. That first night/morning in Paris I realized we're not going back. That was hard! Doing better but I miss everyone A LOT!

    ReplyDelete