Sunday, August 23, 2009

Trip to the Spa


So since we had a long weekend Garren and I figured we should try to get out of the hotel and do something. Garren as many of you know LOVES his massages and my colleague Christine had given us the name of a Spa that she uses. So we thought what the hell and decided to make a trip out.

Now I as many of you know am not the biggest massage fan. I feel uncomfortable naked in front of other people and therefore I can never really relax and enjoy a massage. I'm too tense. So I thought I would get a hammam (traditional moroccon bath) which still involves getting naked but I thought hell, "when in Rome" and it is something that people will probably ask me about over the phone during a Reservations call so I thought that I should at least experience it once.

First finding the place was a bit of a nightmare. It was off the main square Djemaa el Fna but our map did not show the street we were looking for. We therefore spent a very hot 45 minutes walking around the very large square trying every street that branched off of it. Some of the streets had street signs at the start, many did not. Of course we found it at last...the very last street we tried.

Upon entering we were shown around by the proprietor. Garren was lead away for his massage while I had to wait in the hot sitting room for others to be done with their hammam. I happily read my book and drank some of the water we brought with us. Later a group of Italians showed up who were also waiting for the hammam. We chatted a bit. They seemed impressed I was here to stay for a while and were enjoying their vacation in Morocco.

Finally I was lead into the hammam. It wasn't a public hammam (since it was at a spa and all) and it was much smaller I think than the public hammams but the practice was the same. I stripped down and went into what amounts to a sauna room. Thankful I was the last woman patron of the evening so it was just me. First I got dowsed with some water and lathered with some sort of soap/oil. I was then left to sweat it out. It was strangely relaxing. You think being in a steam room after being hot all afternoon would suck but it wasn't. Afterwards I was scrubbed down with a mitt to get all the dead skin off and then the black paste was applied which is supposed to make your skin all extra soft. I was then again left to steam it out.

While I was steaming it out another woman came in to get a shower. It was strangely surreal, but at this point I was naked and covered in black substance so what the hell. Eventually I was given my own shower and my hair was washed. It was the most relaxing feeling to have luke warm water thrown over you after sitting in a hot room dozing. I was lead out and allowed to dry off, comb my hair and get dressed.

Garren was waiting for me and we quickly paid (both the massage and hammam totaled $45 together!) and made our way back out into the now busy streets. We eventually made our way to dinner a Japanese/Thai restaurant called Katsura. It was good (and one of the competitors for the Asian restaurant the hotel is opening....research people, research.). Unfortunately I have not been feeling very well and find it hard to eat. When I am stressed out or uncomfortable the last thing I want to do is eat. You can ask Michele and Kristen. I did the same thing on our trip to Europe over 12 years ago. It's frustrating but unavoidable at the moment. We will have to go back when I am feeling better.

But other than that I feel like our Spa day was a success. We got out of the hotel. Went into the Medina. Did some work research, managed to relax a little I think. Next time I think I want to try another spa to get a comparison and if the new hotel spa needs someone to practice on, I'm happy to volunteer. Rest assured dear readers, Garren and I will find the best place for both a massage and a hammam so that any of you visiting who want to go will get the benefit of our "research"

No comments:

Post a Comment