Saturday, August 15, 2009

À, à, à la discotheque!

So day 3 here continues in Marrakech. I am doing much better since my last post. There was a lot of anxiousness on my part prior to my arrival and then getting here and actually seeing what we had gotten ourselves into. Well it wasn’t good. Missing home. Missing friends. Missing family. Missing cats. I had a bit of a “what the f**k are we doing here?” moment. There have been a few more of those but for the most part I think we’re slowly but surely adjusting.

Helping us along has been my wonderful colleague Christine. She has been amazing. She and I had emailed back and forth a bit before I left the States and she was kind enough to set up some meetings with some realtors for us as well as meet with us and help us get set up with a phone and give us the lay of the land. She called us within a few hours of our arrival at the hotel and later that evening. She was a breath of fresh air and so reassuring after my freak out. She’s been all over. She’s German and went for work from Paris to Mexico to New York to Hong Kong to Miami to Marrakech. She’s done this a lot and I find her to be fearless. I’ve already told her I admire her courage. She shrugs it off, but I could not have done this by myself as she has. I’m very glad to have met her and look forward to working with her. Too bad she’s on vacation for two weeks. Le sigh.

Besides speaking with Christine, I have not heard from work. I’m supposed to hear from someone about how to get to work on Monday. Hopefully they will call tomorrow. If not I will try calling a few people. It’s a little ridiculous how little has been done by my direct boss to prepare for my arrival. Also a little annoying, but well I will just take it in stride. I think you have to just take everything in stride in Morocco. They work at their own pace. If they don’t bother to call me to tell me where to show up or how to get to work I will be poolside until they get their act together.

Otherwise Garren and I may have found an apartment. Fingers crossed. I almost feel like we should look more, but this place is cute, quiet, central to downtown, has nice looking furniture, a decent sized kitchen, washing machine, a medium size shower for Garren and a balcony. It’s seems to be a semi reasonable price, we’re just hoping we might be able to talk them down a little bit. We’ll see. We’re going to discuss it more tomorrow before I call them back on Monday. There were two other options as well that probably would work just fine that are a little less expensive, but the view isn’t quite as nice from the balcony and a little closer to some construction work going on in the area. There is construction EVERYWHERE in Marrakech. It is pretty much unavoidable.

Garren and I were able to enjoy this afternoon by the pool. Garren is trying to even out his tan. I’m trying to stay white and not turn red. Tomorrow will be more of the same. Otherwise we’re wishing that we had downloaded more movies. We’ll just have to wait for our DVDs….and better internet to start downloading things.

Keep sending me good thoughts. I’m pretty sure they’re working. One more day of laziness and then I’m back to work. I have no idea what to expect. Actually I take that back. I expect chaos. Here’s hoping it’s a bit better than that.

P.S. And for those who are wondering the title of this blog comes from the children here at the hotel who after dinner go with the activities directors to the discotheque. They all get in a congo line and chant à, à, à la discotheque as they make their way from the dining hall outside and down to the discotheque. It’s kinda adorable.

P.P.S Garren made me stand in front of the McDonalds like a damn silly American tourist. But it made him happy.

1 comment:

  1. Garren--the best way to even out your tan is to get a g-string speedo. Hoping you have figured this out already and Nuala has taken a picture.
    Love,
    Michele
    P.S. Apartment already?! That is awesome! Yey for settling in!

    ReplyDelete