Wednesday, August 19, 2009

And so it begins

First week of work done. The highlights:

  • I still don’t have a work cell phone
  • We have not had internet the two days I have brought my own computer. The first day I had no computer to work with.
  • I have no access to email or to the network to get information that I need to do any work.
  • Human Resources has been pretty unhelpful with the whole being a foreigner moving to a new country thing.
  • It is a short week. There are two holidays this Thursday and Friday (the King’s birthday and a celebration of the revolution)
  • Ramadan starts on Friday/Saturday
  • Garren and I have secured an apartment and from what I can tell it’s a good price in a central location. Pictures to be taken next week.
  • French lessons are in our future

In Detail:

Day 1:

First day was a little annoying. It basically turned out the way I expected but it is the exact thing I try to avoid when getting my own new employee. A plan in place, a list of things to do that I can dive into right away. Not to much to ask right? The problem was that there were no extra computers and I didn’t bring our laptop so that Garren had access to the outside world. Therefore the first day consisted of no email, no documents, just reviewing any information that people could print out for me.

About what you could expect from a first day on a pre opening team for a hotel opening in Morocco.

In other news we were able to talk down the price on the apartment we liked. Garren has a project for Day 2. He’s going to go see it again, make sure it’s in good condition and as nice as we remember. And we have a 2nd apartment to look at with another realtor for the same price in a different location which is not as central.

I’m trusting Garren’s judgment. I think at least looking at a different place in an area further away at the same price will give us an idea if we’re getting a good deal for the one closer to town. I’m still not really sure if the price we negotiated is good. Someone here at work just got a 3 bedroom Riad (on the other side of the Medina from where we’re looking) for the same price we’ve been quoted for the 1 bedroom apartment. He did have some insider help, but still. And it is not in the best neighborhood, or so I’ve been told. He seems to get around ok without a car, but I dunno, I like being in a neighborhood, which is still close to the Medina but has lots of cafes and shops. Maybe I’m being too American/European. But with no car, I like the idea of being more central. Unfortunately it’s further away from work so no matter what I still have to hitch a ride, but many people are in my area in the same boat I think so…..on vera

Day 2:

Had a computer (ours) Yea! No internet Boo! I was able to work on some minor projects, but for the most part I couldn’t do much. No access to email means no access to the files I need. Hopefully tomorrow I will have both a computer and internet. And maybe my phone? I’m not going to hold my breath.

Sounds like I might be able to get some French lessons and find out where Garren can take some too. HR seems to be a little overwhelmed at the moment. It’s a little annoying to feel like I’m bothering them when really they should be helping me to settle in, walking me through the immigration process. Whatever. I suppose it’s on Morocco time. (read FOREVER). Blah.

I did have a good sit down with my new boss this morning, going through what is expected of me. Seems pretty straight forward.

  • Set up the various distributions systems and SMS rate structure
  • Hire Reservations Staff
  • Train Staff
  • Run Reservations
  • Produce Revenue Reports/Conduct Revenue Management

Just need the damn systems to start. And of course they’ve been delayed. Hopefully (fingers crossed) we’ll have them by sometime next month. In the meantime I can prep…if I could just get some damn internet. Or a computer connected to the network. Sigh.

On the home front, looks like we have an apartment. Garren went back today to the apartment that we saw together still liked it. He says it’s needs a good cleaning but it’s in good shape. I think we’ll end up taking it. I feel like it’s a decent price. It’s no 3 bedroom riad, but it’s comfortable and close to many things. I have to call tomorrow to finalize things, but I may take Monday off so we can go sign papers, pay, sign up for some internet and probably even move. Or I may try to put it off until the 1st so we don’t have to pay for an extra week.

Today was a little stressful for me. I feel like I’m unable to show what I can do when I don’t have the tools I need. The PMS system would be nice so I could set it up, but even just having access to the information I need so that I can plot everything on paper and maybe email my old boss Mel and other Revenue Managers in the company to let them know that I’m alive and that I miss them.

It’s hard. I’m the new kid on the block. And trying to get to know people when I was introduced to them all at once and have no idea what all their names are is intimidating. I need my email! I know pretty much what everyone does so if I can put a name to a face/position and I can get names down! So yea. On the bright side I have been getting compliments on my French.

Day 3:

Didn’t get much sleep last night One of those things where I nodded off and then woke up again. And after waking up again I couldn’t get a good night sleep. Also my stomach this morning was not happy I’ve been pretty careful about what I eat but maybe it’s just the heat and stress.

No internet again today. And there are lots of Corporate meetings going on which means there won’t be much time for my boss to sit down with me. I did download some documents that I had emailed to me at our hotel where we have internet but there in an excel and word format that I need an update for, which I need internet for. It’s a vicious cycle. So I had hoped that I could work on some of my informational sheets, but apparently no.

I called the realtor and we are taking the apartment. We get the keys on Monday, which means we get a relaxing weekend together (4 days!). And I’ll take Monday off so that we can get situated in the apartement, do all the necessary signing and validations and hopefully (fingers crossed) get a reliable USB internet connection. We’re probably going to hang out by the pool and maybe try to go into town to a spa that Christine recommended. What the hell right? We might as well enjoy ourselves if we can.

And then it will be back to work on Tuesday with me trying to find a ride into work. Oy vey.

Now I need to try to find a way to print out some documents. Maybe then I can actually do some work around here.

2 comments:

  1. Really, as confusing and exotic as everything must seem, it sounds like you are both handling things very, very well! I love hearing about your experiences. Once you start feeling productive at work you'll probably relax some more, too. Can't wait to see the pictures of the apartment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am exhausted just reading your blog. Push through, sounds like things will be all settled very soon! can't wait to see pics of the apartment! love you!

    ReplyDelete