Friday, June 19, 2009

Anti Bride


I'm a little frustrated with wedding stuff today. I know that Garren and everyone in my circle of friends is sick of hearing about it but I'm just not gaga over any of my dress choices. The fact is I'm annoying myself with my lack of decision making abilities.

I dunno. Maybe I'm placing too much importance on it, but when I pictured my wedding I always imagined that I would have the most unbelievable dress or at least feel unbelievable in it. But I never had a clear picture of the style or options I wanted. Maybe because it's changed over the years. Either way it has caused problems as it's hard to find your perfect dress if you don't have a clear picture of it.

I think the other factor is the limited time. From start to finish I will have had about 6 weeks total to plan this wedding. And while for the most part it is exactly what I want even if we had more time the truth is that if I had a year I feel like I could have paid a bit more attention to the details. I probably would have found a dress before I picked flower colors and I would have had a lot more time to be picky about the dress without worrying about a time crunch and alterations and accessory buying factors. I would have had more time to think about decorations, flower arrangements, gifts, etc. As it is most of that stuff has been thrown out the window for us. And while that's ok I regret not having some more time, because if I did I could have saved a bit more for the dress so I wasn't as limited in the price range.

Right now I feel like I can't consider certain options because it's out of my price range or there is not enough time. Or maybe it doesn't fit with the casual wedding we're having. And with us paying for the wedding on our own (with some help from the parents) I don't know if I can justify paying over $400 for a dress I'll only wear once. My frugal side is telling me it's ridiculous.

At this point I'm not sure what to do. Do I settle? Do I keep looking? Do I consider options a little bit out of the price range and say to hell with it? Do I say f*%ck it and just wear a sheet?

I'm giving myself the weekend. And then if I can't find an option I am gaga over I'm going with the back up dress and I'm going to embrace it whole heartedly without any reservations. That's my plan and I'm sticking to it. I'm also going to shut up about it after this post. I hate feeling like a bridezilla. blah.

12 comments:

  1. 11:15am | 12:35pm | 2:00 | 3:20 | 4:45 | 6:05 | 7:30 | 8:50 | 10:15

    ReplyDelete
  2. hee hee....I'm assuming these are the movie times for Sunday?

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes but i didn't mean to post them here! it ate my ctrl-c function and i hate blogger!

    ReplyDelete
  4. argh! deleted my whole comment and then messed up and argh!

    ok. huff huff. basically i said you are silly and not a bridezilla and it's totally ok to still be looking for a dress. you've got like 3 weeks still! plenty of time to find something off the rack. maybe you should expand search options to other malls or bridal boutiques or that maiden lane place in SF. if you want company i could go on sunday as long as we still get to see the proposal too. or you could call in sick on tuesday. maybe you should try getting a whole bunch of wedding magazines and actually identifying what you want in a dress. we could look at them in borders on sunday. maybe go to broadway plaza or maybe there's bridal boutiques in walnut creek.

    if it eats my comment again and tells me to enable javascript, i am kicking blogger in the ass.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ha ha! suck on that comment blogger. fucking javascript--it is enabled!! a-hole.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw. You are nothing like a bridezilla. (Really hate that term, btw. "Hey, you know how you've probably never planned a fancy party for 100 people before? Well, plan it! And you're probably working full time and having your normal life, so you'll have to become superwoman also. Now why exactly are you acting so crazy?")

    Watching you try on dresses and come out looking so gorgeous every time...all I can do is imagine how much more beautiful you're going to look on the day, when you're happy and glowing and relaxed and about to get a cocktail. It's tough for me to see how a $500 or $600 (or, gulp, $1200+) dress is going to up that glow, since I suspect it will be un-uppable.

    BUT if you aren't feeling beautiful in these then definitely keep looking! You've got time and we will help. (Except I didn't help last night, but only cause I had a plan already.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. P.S. I still say you should find the dress-formality level you want regardless of the formality of your wedding. As long as you can move without three people holding up your skirts (a la Maria in Sound of Music), go for it. So you might as well get that foufy princess dress I KNOW you can't stop thinking about.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry about the blogger trouble.

    Thanks for the offer, but I think maybe I need to do it on my own. But it's not a bad idea to maybe go through some bridal magazines so maybe I'll do that tonight....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Kristen. You didn't miss anything last night. Dresses not worth the trip to Berkeley or canceling of your plans.

    ReplyDelete
  10. stupid button dress would have been worth it if it had a hidden zipper.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are so NOT bridezilla (trust me, I've heard horror stories). Freaking out just comes with the territory of wedding-planning, and that's what girlfriends and hubby-to-be are for, sounding boards for the frustrations.

    Anyhow, I'm a big believer in no regrets, so I think that it'll be worth it to find a dress you really love, so you don't end up feeling a bit sorry over it later. I totally understand the budgetary constraints, but maybe if you find a dress you really love and it's only a few hundred more, maybe someone (parent? friend, as wedding gift?) can help out with it. Or maybe that's what credit cards are for and ultimately, paying off a few extra hundred is worth it in the long run (I'm not talking $2,000 dresses here, but something you love that is still within imaginable range). It is just one day, but it is the one day we dream about and remember for the rest of our lives. And having one day to feel like a princess is what it's all about. Ok, maybe not ALL of what it's about...but partly at least. :)

    I also agree with Kristen that dress formality does not need to match the occasion. Basically the point is, it's not the cost or the conventions that are gonna matter that day; it's all about how you're going to feel.

    Anyway, that's my two cents, and feel free to ignore it, having made your decision and all. Prolly the last thing you need now is someone effing that up. :)

    ReplyDelete