Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Things they should teach in school


There should be a negotiating class taught in High School or College. I mean I don't know how to negotiate! I don't know how to place a value on myself. I am freaking out. I've been made an offer and I'm expected to make a counter offer (I think) but I cannot for the life of me determine what is a fair counter offer.

Will they think I'm a greedy bitch with the counter offer I'm about to send?
Should I go in with what I would be willing to accept?
Higher than what I would be willing to accept?
Is my idea of an acceptable salary too high?
Am I expecting to much?
Am I worth that much?

It's all making my head hurt and is giving me panic attacks. I need to send this email today, but am terrified that I'm going to ruin something by asking for more money. In my head I know this is probably not true. They may look at my request laugh (or not) and then make a counter offer or stick with what they originally offered, but they will not walk away. Despite this rational thought my heart is beating a million times a minute and the little woman inside me is saying, "Just take what you're given before they change their mind." Where she comes from I don't know but standing up for myself and declaring this is how much I'm worth is freaking terrifying.

I don't like it and I want it to go away.

8 comments:

  1. Word. That shit is hard. I spent a long time struggling with that when I was freelancing, especially since I had to do it all over again with each client. You're lucky in that you really cannot scare them off with this.

    But definitely aim high! No employer has ever ever looked at a request and thought "greedy bitch." The most they will ever think is "shoot, we can't afford that. I hope we can still get her at this other price."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know how you did this multiple times. I salute you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I was pretty crappy at it. But I accept your salute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I suck bigtimes at this too. I hate it, bargaining, negotiating, all of it. Why can't everything just be straightforward?! Anyway, I'd say bargain up (especially cuz it seems like they almost expect you to). Go for what you think would be ideal, with the expectation that they'll probably counter-offer lower. Maybe especially focus on the side benefits (like help with moving costs, etc.)? Like Kris said, I think the worst that would happen is they'll stand by their first offer as the final offer. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i agree with Jade - bargain up and if they need to bargain down to "afford" you then at the very least the bottom line is still what you were initially willing to accept.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yea. It's what I did. It's sent and I can calm down until I get an email back and I will then start to have a panic attack again. And after that's over I have to worry about speaking to the upper manangement before I think it's a done deal.

    Oy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just as extra justification for bargaining, in salaried positions, they care about your pay history, so if you get the best pay you can in this job, it sets a floor for all future jobs. It would be a lifetime raise, so it's totally worth it to negotiate for more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Christine. That's what I've been told by my current boss too, which is why I felt I had to ask for more. Need to set myself up for later on down the road.

    ReplyDelete