Monday, April 13, 2009

A Day in Monterey




Garren and I had the day off together yesterday. Shocker of shockers! This is like the 3rd day off we've had together in the last few weeks. I think it's a record. Since we've been having this time off together we've been trying to do something and not be stuck at home. We tend to be homebodies, but with the nice weather lately we just feel the need to be out and about and not waste another day in front of a TV or inside ignoring the weather. 

We contemplated going to Great America as it's something we've been talking about for a while but I wasn't in the mood for roller coasters so we decided on the Monterey Bay Aquarium. Garren hadn't been since he was little and our friend Courtney lives in Monterey and we haven't seen her in a year.

We probably picked the wrong day to go to the Aquarium. I mean the Saturday before Easter was not the smartest choice, but we're last minute planners. Either way it was a beautiful day and after spending some agonizing time finding parking we made it to the Aquarium around 1:00pm. Two things we learned while there:

1. In the battle between man and stroller the stroller always seems to win
2. Going to the Aquarium when packed with kids is the best advocate for birth control.

We saw some cute sea otters! They look like a cross little old men and cats. What with their grooming and rolling and big Willoughby like tummies. They are the cutest sea animal, there is no denying it. We also saw the Deep Sea tank (it's got a better name than that, but I call it the deep sea tank). I could spend hours watching all those fish swim by. I find it so relaxing. (When there aren't a million kids pressed up against the glass blocking your view). We also saw the new seahorse display. So cool! There's one that looks like a twig and another that looks like a big green plant. So bizarre. And we of course made a trip to see the Penguins. Except for Garren getting hit by the same stroller three times and me grabbing the arm of some guy I thought was Garren at one point it and asking if he wanted to step outside (oops!), it was relatively calm uneventful fun day oogling at underwater creatures.

In the evening we went to Courntey's and had dinner with her family. With the new baby niece it was a great way to spend the Easter holiday. We had a great time catching up, eating and drinking, and Garren and Courtney conspired behind my back so that we could spend the night and hence drink as much as we liked. By the time they revealed that I wouldn't be going home until the morning I was secretly relieved. 

And so here I am back in Berkeley, doing my laundry and dreading having to go back to work tomorrow. sigh. Oh well. So yea to Spring and Happy Easter.

3 comments:

  1. you were going to go to great america without me?!?!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well no see, I wasn't down really with just the two of us going. I thought we'd get bored. But the aquarium, no need to get excited, just have to coo over cute animals, which is more our style when it's just the two of us...

    So see Great American saved for a group trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love those otters. i am with you. i could just stare at them for hours. don't need no group for that. yey for upcoming GA trip then, whoo!

    ReplyDelete