Sunday, April 5, 2009

Lestat anyone?

=


I decided to indulge myself tonight. I got a huge freaking burrito for dinner got home and decided to REALLY indulge and finally watch Twilight.

I hated the book and I refused to see the movie when it was out in the theaters, but with all the hoopla about it I couldn't help but want to see the movie to see if it really is as bad as I remember or if I was too harsh on the book. Well I'm still in the middle of watching it as I type and it is in fact WORSE. Why this series is a so popular I cannot understand.

I've always said that the reason I didn't like the book is because Bella is so passive. I like heroines who are more aggressive I guess. More active in their fate. Bella just lets things happen to her. I know people would probably argue this point, but in the end I just find her blah. Her entire personality leaves something to be desired.

Watching the movie I've come to realize that Edward is also part of the reason I hate the story in general. He is so self loathing. When he first reveals himself to Bella he's trying to show how ugly/horrible he is, he takes her out into the sunlight to show her how he sparkles. I mean how is that ugly? Why be so self loathing about that? Because it's different? I mean I get it. He's a vampire. He's drank human blood at one point. But he's reformed. He doesn't drink human blood anymore. For a long time. He lives among the humans. I mean isn't it time to forgive yourself for any transgressions you may have done when you first became a vampire and didn't realize the error of your predator ways?! And I think it is the fact that Bella falls in love with this self loathing, sometimes UBER whiny vampire is freaking ridiculous. Or maybe just annoying. I mean the level of angst is just a little over the top. Give me Lestat any day over any of these vamps. He at least embraces what he is and reveals in it. He is so much more fun. And Interview with the Vampire is another example of the whiny I'm tortured vampire. Louis was always my lease favorite character of Anne Rice's vampires too.

As to the movie in general. I particularly love how all the vampires look like washed out crazy people or Tom Cruise. I mean I know vampires are UBER pale but do they have to make the make up look so bad? And some of the lines....I think the one that made me laugh the most was, "So the lion fell in love with the lamb." Oh the melodrama.

So overall, movie really was as painful as the book. I wish I could like this story. I feel like I should but to me it feels like it's trying to hard and I just cannot care enough about the characters to want to know more. So seeing the movie did not make me want to read the rest of the series. I hoped it would. But no. I might watch the rest of the movies. The brooding looks by Edward might make it worth it. Drinking every time Edward gives a brooding glare should be mandatory when watching the movie.

So that's it. My rant about Twilight and how really it's just as horrible as I remember.

3 comments:

  1. i dunno if we can be friends anymore.

    1. he didn't actually bite people right away when he was first a vampire. he was all veggie with carlisle for a while. and then he decided he wanted to try human blood and carlisle let him go and he went and bit bad people (mind-read them first). so he did it consciously and with purpose. it's still ridic that he feels guilt about it but it wasn't something he did as a newly turned vampire before learning control.

    2. the lion/lamb line is from the book. it does sound cheesy out loud. but it's important for the movie in having ties to the books. and this maybe can be laid to blame at the horrible acting more than the books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No either way it's a bad line with or without the bad acting.

    And I just assumed he was all guilt ridden that he had killed humans early on in his vampire years. If he didn't even do that then he needs to shut up and realize he's not a bad vampire. He's a good one and he can be with bella. quit your whining

    Basically now it's even more lame. He doesn't even have an excuse for his self loathing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree bout the Carlisle Lestat comparison. When I was rewatching Interview With The Vampire I realized, "Wow, they totally copied Lestat, but in a bad way!"

    Except that Carlisle= bleh and Lestat= yummm

    ReplyDelete