Sunday, January 30, 2011

Breakfast

Since before we left for Morocco Kept Man and I got into the habit of weekend brunch when we had a day off together. In California we usually went out, Rick and Ann's or La Note being the destinations of choice in Berkeley and Cajun Kitchen or Tupelo Junction in Santa Barbara. In Marrakech and Prague there is a void of quality brunch locations. In Marrakech we usually ended up at Cafe de la Poste for a French breakfast while in Prague we gravitate towards The Globe Cafe for an American style brunch.

While we do go out for brunch from time to time our preferred choice since leaving the States has been to cook at home. Our go to meal is Buttermilk pancakes and bacon, from the Bride and Groom Cookbook - our magic book - which I bought before I even met Kept Man and now give as a wedding present. Incidentally we need a 2nd copy. Ours is covered in grease and batter spattering from being used so much. We've also experimented with muffins, breakfast burritos (yummy), French Toast and some not so eggy dishes.  Too much egg and not enough stuff and I may puke all over Kept Man. Ugg. One of the worst smells I can think of is a frying egg. I know everyone out there will probably disagree with me but all I can say is blah.

Last Saturday it was the good old pancakes with bacon. Side note on the bacon. This was the first bacon we found at our grocery store that was labeled "British Bacon" meaning it was smoked. It was yummy and crispy and Kept Man was able to stock up on his bacon grease. It's amazing since one of us has time to cook how much more we use and save in the kitchen. Did I mention that Kept Man has made preserved lemons recently? We're going to try them out in a Tagine sometime soon. Marrakech with it's easy to buy preserved lemons was wasted on us. sigh.

Anyways back to the pancakes. They were supposed to look like this:



But in reality with the prep and the cooking

                          
Did I mention how my food pictures suck?


They looked a bit more like this:
I'm only working with a point and shoot here. And Kept Man is the photographer of the two of us

 But I'm too lazy to have him edit the photos because by the time he's done I won't want to write anymore. So you have uninspirted food photos I"m afraid

Today Kept Man decided he wanted muffins. No low fat crap muffins. Real muffins. So we found a recipe. Albeit a bit of a complicated one. (Kept Man remarked that it made a lot of dishes) and set to baking


Kept Man did not like the sugar lemon topping


But I found it quite enjoyable with my coffee


And Kept Man didn't snub his nose at them either for all his talk of how the lemon made it taste funny.


Now don't you all want to come over for breakfast? Or late lunch. I am lazy on the weekends. If you can't tell from our state of grooming in these pictures. So I guess that would be 3am California time. Surely you're all free.

4 comments:

  1. i DO want to come for breakfast. lemon sugar tops sound delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE that cookbook! I use it all the time. We had pot pies from there for lunch. Haven't made the pancakes yet, but I guess I need to try them now...

    ReplyDelete
  3. We'll be over for breakfast/brunch/lunch/linner (combo of lunch/dinner) really soon! I agree w/Eydie!

    ReplyDelete