Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Voucher Phenomenon



There is this phenomenon in Czech Republic where websites offer a discounted price on various services. (no, not those kind of services!) Things like restaurants, gyms, spas, and bars. Mostly service related industries but there are some general shopping opportunities as well. Maybe this phenomenon is not only available in the Czech Republic but it's the first time I've run into it. Either way it's a promotional way to get people to discover your place of business and I've found through my work colleagues that it works. (At least to try the place out).

Case in point our Accounting Department at work are the partiers of the hotel. I know weird right? Anyways they are always the ones who are putting together an outing with everyone. One time they wanted to head to Hooters. I asked the Financial Controller why. Cause seriously I'm not a Hooters type of gal. The reason? He had a bought a voucher one one of these sites. And then he tells me (to convince me to go), "I would never go to Hooters, but I have this voucher with chicken wings and beer...." And therein lies the genius behind these vouchers. Things people would normally never ever buy, or places they would never ever go, they buy vouchers for on these sites because it's a "good deal." Even an uber smart Financial Controller. Go figure.

Garren and I have not been immune to the voucher siren call. The Yoga sessions I recently purchased? Total voucher buy. And last night? Garren and I went to a little restaurant called Mon Rouge Pif. A little out of our way and it was only the two of us in the entire restaurant but for 260 czk total (approximately $15) we both had a 3 course meal with 3 glasses of wine. The food was decent, the wine tasty and the service friendly and attentive. We had mistakenly bought two vouchers thinking that the price was per person. We might go back on a Saturday to see if the atmosphere is a bit more lively and get another meal.

I think we (and by we I mean I) may be slightly addicted. We recently bought another meal for sushi for two (which is normally very expensive in Prague) and just today I was contemplating buying another meal at a Brazilian restaurant that is around the corner from us. I'm trying to control myself, but when we're talking about getting to try out new restaurants at a fraction of the price it's a little hard to resist.

If you're interested in pursuing these sites just for fun the top three listed below are these are the ones I frequent the most. The last one is apparently a compilation of all the voucher sites for easy viewing pleasure. I only found out about it today. I might have to pretend I wasn't told about it.

Slevomat
My Deals
Lime and Tonic
Skrz.cz

5 comments:

  1. It's a huge thing in the States now too. Groupon is the biggest, plus Bloomspot, Living Social, and even Opentable sends out deals now. it's crazy! Not sure why anyone would pay full price for anything anymore at this rate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried Groupon, immediately became annoyed with it and deleted my account after one day. And that was my adventure with coupons. But I am glad you're getting yogafied!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha! i looked at the groupon website, immediately became annoyed and closed the browser.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Weird. I find it to be such a weird concept. Why? I'm not sure. I wonder if it's will turn into a passing fad or a permanent thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also find that whenever I'm buying something online, if I do a quick search for "company name + coupon," there's usually a coupon out there I can use for a discount or free shipping.

    The interwebs! They rule my heart!

    ReplyDelete