Sunday, May 10, 2009

Something Shiny


Garren proposed. On Friday night. I feel weird just typing that. I knew in theory that he would be sometime soon. With this whole possible Morocco move it's something that we've been talking about and I think he wanted to propose prior to any official word on whether or not we are moving in a gesture to let me know that we wants to marry me whether or not we do to Morocco. It's not just so he can come live with me in Morocco and I can be his sugar mama. 

The weird thing about being engaged is i don't feel different but I do feel weird telling people. It's like saying, "look at me! look at me!" I find it very hard to do. I was envious of the phone calls that Garren made. He called his brother Joe and said, "Just wanted to let you know that Nuala and I are officially engaged." Joe's reaction was, "Congratulations man" and then the conversation changed to other things. While I loved talking with everyone. Telling the same story over and over again became a little tiring. AND I hate the phone. I love the people on the other end of it, but I would rather talk to them face to face. And then yesterday when I did have about 6 of our friends in front of us, finding a moment to tell them was hard for me. Again it's the whole look at me thing. Michele was aghast that I told her after we got out of the bathroom of the theatre. The best thing about Michele however was her ability to spread the news. I love it! She immediately texted people who were coming to play rock band as well as anyone else we both know.  Thank you Michele.

For those who care. Garren proposed up at the Lawrence Hall of Science with the view overlooking the Bay Area near sunset. We went to dinner that night at Anchor and Hope in the city where they weirdly had a bottle of Garren's favorite wine from Santa Barbara. We split it and were drunk by the time we got home, where we proceeded to have a shot of jager in honor of the first time we kissed when we both had been fortified with the same liquor. And then we passed out. Some things don't change.

13 comments:

  1. i wasn't AGHAST per se. i was mostly amused, (thumbs up). and also furious at myself for not noticing earlier, say at borders when we were standing alone talking. or when you edged by me to get to your seat in the theatre. or when we were washing our hands in the bathroom (we're sanitary, people, get over it). but mostly i was so, so excited! and still am. (also i emailed long-hai.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally thought you saw it at borders when I picked up the Anita comic...but no. And then I was freaking out because I couldn't go the whole evening without saying something. Ahhh. But I love that you are telling everyone for me. More like look at her instead of look at me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, no prob. Anytime you need to disperse info, look no further than my big mouth. (I emailed Kim and Jason and told my mom).

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh it's so PRETTY!!!! i can't wait to see the bling in person!! toby and i are SO happy for you both!!! much love and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this makes me so gleeful. i'm positively glowing. so much i had to comment twice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so so happy for my duck and husband-of-duck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Jade! Hope you and Toby are well after all the fires. Seems like it is getting better. Hugs back!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kristen...perhaps duck in law.....hee hee

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah, we skeedaddled down to my parents' house and spent the weekend there. We're gonna hang out one more day, enjoying working in the peace and quiet and we'll go back to SB tonight. Not looking forward to dealing with the aftermath...but definitely feeling very lucky nothing worse happened.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so with you on not being one of those "look at me, look at me" types. I find FB status update is the quickest and easiest way to disseminate information. I mean, that's how I found out Bea Arthur died! ;-)

    Oh, and congrats! I know I only met Garren once a few years ago, but he clearly adores you as much now as he did then.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Clint. He's a keeper that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Way to go!

    I also highly approve of his choice of LHS as a proposal site.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yea while we were walking to go take a look at the view and prior to the proposal I was jabbering on about how you used to work there. Yea LHS!

    ReplyDelete