Thursday, May 7, 2009

Santa Barbara is Burning


I've been through some fires myself in Santa Barbara and usually the media makes it sound worse than it really is. And in this case I think they area again, but from just hearing the evacuation information it's a little scary. They evacuated parts of downtown, State Street is mostly closed to traffic and in an "evacuation warning" area. Friends Toby and Jade have evacuated from their home as they are also in an "evacuation warning" area and very close to the mandatory evacuation area. My old house on Sunset Road is in the also in the "evacuation warning" area (outskirts, but none the less) which never happened before. The fire is mostly in the hills behind Santa Barbara but it there is a very real threat with high heat and gusty winds expected today that it could spread closer to the city itself.

It seems since Garren and I left SB there have been more fires than we ever experienced while we were there. Or maybe it's just hearing about it from far away and not being there and not really being affected by it. Who knows. Either way Santa Barbara please don't burn down, Garren and I have plans to visit at the end of the month. We need a mini break and to visit favorite places so please for the love of my stomach don't go let the fire spread to my favorite restaurants.

Map of evacuation areas here.

News information from the Santa Barbara Independent here.

Pictures Toby took from his front yard here.

No comments:

Post a Comment