Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Me=Lazy Cook, Garren=Chef Extraordinaire


I can cook. I can make a good pasta, a passable chicken or meat dish, a good stew. But when it comes down to it I'm lazy. I don't want to do anything that takes a lot of prep or time or that I think is uber fancy.

Garren on the other hand. Well as an example, yesterday he spent at least 6 hours making his own chicken stock. He roasted the chicken bones, put all the veggies in, blah, blah blah and presto! Now we have a ton of home made chicken stock. My question was, what will we do with all this chicken stock, because me I wouldn't know how to use all that chicken stock. Garren's answer, make pan sauces (for his fancy meat/chicken dishes), risotto, soups, etc.

Shouldn't the daughter of a chef be the one making chicken stock from scratch and trying fancy things like scallops, lamb, parmesan fries, and fancy from scratch sauces? In my case no, because I'm used to it just showing up on my plate without any work. Like I said LAZY. So while I didn't try to find one, I've somehow ended up living with a gourmet who likes to try lots of complicated recipes and the product just shows up on my plate. And my tummy is that much more happy for it.

4 comments:

  1. I think we turned out exactly as one would expect two women raised by a male French chef to turn out - we found men to continue on the tradition of cooking yummy food and feeding us. I see absolutely no problem with this reality. It is not "lazy", it is just as it should be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who loves you babe? I now expect the only words out of your mouth to be "yes, chef" in response to me.... Achtung!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um...you've still got a leg up on your sister who, love her to death, didn't know how to use a can opener when we moved to NYC 9 years ago. No joke! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe everoyne who knows me is well aware of this - and I make no apologies. I don't know how to cook and don't care to. That's what men are for. :)

    ReplyDelete