Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Virtual Coffee

Happy Tuesday everybody! I feel like I should talk like a muppet when I say that as that is what it sounds like in my head.

First if we were really meeting for coffee I would take a minute to mention that it's my mother-in-law Leslie's birthday. I don't know how I got so lucky have her in for a mother-in-law, but I'm glad I did. I'm just sorry that G Unit and I are not closer so that we could celebrate her birthday with her, but I hope our phone call let her know how much she means to us even if it is only a lame message on the machine. Good thing she's coming to see us soon so that we can spoil her rotten in person. Happy Birthday Leslie!

So, how was everyone's weekend? Mine was fab-uuuu-lous. The weather has finally turned warm here in Prague and G Unit and I took full advantage. As you may know hubby ran the Prague 1/2 Marathon which was lots of fun for me. Sunday we decided to head to the park and have a picnic.




G Unit remarked as we were enjoying the sunshine that he would never have wanted to do this back in California. He said that he would have found it boring, but after 6 months of cold weather and the indoors any excuse to get outside is now jumped on.


It reminds me of a wise man (I'm looking at you Bob Larson) once telling me that as you get older you notice/pay more attention to the seasons. I didn't really believe Bob when he said that to me way back when as I had just graduated college and was working in a University environment. I didn't think I would ever not know when it was mid term time or Christmas break. And I don't know if I would notice it as much if I was still in California, but when there is a true distinction between the seasons, boy do you notice it. Walking around without a coat is like a miracle. I heart Prague in the Spring.

If we were really meeting for coffee I would completely change subjects and gush about my uncle Jerome (pronounced Jerem with a Belfast accent) who has written a play called LoveJig, a love story about two Irish dancers. He started writing the play when my cousin (his daughter) went on tour with an Irish dancing show. After getting back she and her friends said he should write a story for an Irish dancing show as the story-line on their gig was not so great. He started writing and LoveJig is the result. It's turning into a bit of a family affair. My cousin and her friends (I believe) are to provide the dancing for the play, another cousin is helping with the promoting and my aunt auditioned and is to be one of the leads. It's all very exciting. I just wish I could make it to see the damn thing. sigh. I'm afraid the timing won't work out though. It's right before G Unit and I leave for our vacation in Italy. I've told Jerome he has to tape one of the performances for my viewing pleasure or take it on tour to Europe. I'm fine either way. Fingers crossed. But if anyone else reading this is in the Toronto area June 24 - 26 you should totally check it out.

And apparently this week I'm obsessed with all things Irish, as I'm dying to tell you about a new documentary about Irish Dancing. It's called Jig.



For anyone who ever wondered or was curious about what I was talking about when I mentioned an Irish Dancing Feis and the crazy world of Irish dancing competition you would probably be interested. I sometimes wish that I was as great an Irish dancer as these kids or my cousins are, but I really do not have the drive for it. Sometimes it bothers me that I don't have the drive not only regarding Irish dancing but studying/school and any other hobbies I start. But maybe it's not drive but plain lack of competitiveness. Or passion. It can be a little upsetting when I think about it. But don't worry; this feeling usually passes, probably more quickly than it should and I shrug my shoulders and get on with my world happy with who I am and what I have done.

And that's it for me today. What's new with all of you? I'd love to hear what's going on in your neck of the woods.

Join Virtual Coffee with Amy at Lucky Number 13

Photobucket

8 comments:

  1. Wait, but he's gone on picnics here. You find my picnics boring, Garren?!

    CA this year is actually having a noticeable transition from winter to spring, I think. It's weird. It was a really wet winter and now it's all of a sudden sunny.

    Happy Birthday, Leslie!
    LoveJig sounds awesome.
    And I meant to tell you about this but I forgot and maybe you already know anyway, but: Lord of the Dance 3D
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1792584/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, quite a disappointing review. LOTD, you disappoint me.
    http://lostinreviews.com/2011/03/lord-of-the-dance/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of COURSE they are not boring! Just because most of the pictures I have of him at a picnic are of him sleeping does NOT mean he was bored. He was just...resting his eyes.
    http://eloise.cementhorizon.com/gallery/v/2009/09spring/200904-bbq/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the sweet birthday wishes, dear daughter in law. It has been a lovely day, eases the pain of getting older! Love you and that cute hubbie of yours dearly! Thanks to you too, Michelle!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think he meant just the two of us. I mean when there are other people and friends around not possibly boring. But just me and him, kinda boring.

    Lord of the Dance 3D....That could be awesomely bad. I might have to check this thing out.

    Leslie - Glad you had a good bday. My mom doesn't comment but she sent me an email to tell you Happy Birthday too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, I want to see Jig! (Just watched the trailer.) Um...wigs, though? Did you wear a wig? ARE THERE PICTURES?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I did not wear a wig. Mom attempted to curl my hair. I think the wigs got popular after I stopped competing. My cousins have wigs. Jerome likes to put them on. When my cousin first posted the trailer I thought it was a video of him in the wig. hwee!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those pictures are amazing!!! Wonderful...

    april

    ReplyDelete