Sunday, April 24, 2011

Bunnies and Chocolate

I have fond memories of Easter growing up. Mostly revolving around eggs. Painting eggs, easter egg hunts (while singing christmas songs - apparently my sister and I were confused children), posing with the easter bunny, cadbury eggs, jelly beans, so much chocolate I'm amazed I never feel into a sugar coma. The typical American experience, I would think.

Here in Central Europe there are many similarities. Images of baby chicks, bunnies and chocolate shaped everything are everywhere. Painting eggs is a tradition as it is in the States but it's done in an elaborate fashion here and is an art form in its own right.


Compare the above to the Easter eggs I made this year. I will admit I did not spend much time on mine. It was more just to do it.


Here in Prague they even have what I've heard is not traditional but prevalent Easter Markets. The below photos are from the market near our apartment.




The whole atmosphere in Prague around Easter feels to me like a celebration of the Spring season and it is even more enjoyable with the work holiday it provides for the Monday following Easter. Apparently Easter Monday is the true holiday in Central Europe, but it is my co-workers unequivocal least favorite holiday. When it came to deciding who would work the Monday holiday both co-workers said, "I'm working. I hate Easter Monday. I don't want to go home." When I asked why they mentioned being hit with a stick and/or drenched with water. Say what? How did we go from eating too much chocolate and painting eggs to being wet and beaten?

Apparently the Central European Easter tradition involves unmarried women being awoken by being drenched with a bucket of water or hit with a pomlazka which is a braided whip made from pussy willow twigs and decorated with ribbons. All this is supposed to bring luck and fertility in the new year. These willow whips are on display and available for purchase everywhere in Prague at the moment from the Easter markets to the grocery stores.


There are variations of this tradition. I've read that the ladies are whipped on the legs in the morning and then in the afternoon they dump water on the men. But in Slovakia the ladies get water thrown on them in the morning possibly combined with the whipping. And in return for this blessing the ladies are supposed to give them men easter eggs and chocolate treats. Either way to me it seems like the ladies are getting the short end of the stick. I can't really blame the girls for not wanting to be at home for these particular traditions. 

Thankfully for me my Easter traditions still just include painted or dyed eggs, chocolate and enjoying the Spring weather. G Unit and are will be making our first trip to the beer garden today in celebration of Easter. I think that's better than being wet, shivering and having whip stung legs, but maybe that's just me.

Happy Easter!

4 comments:

  1. Wow those eggs are amazing...but um, yeah. I'm not sure I'd wanna stay home at get beat either! Wonder how that tradition came about?

    Man, if it weren't for Facebook I would have totally forgotten it's Easter Sunday today. Somehow Thailand seems to have imported Christmas but not Easter.

    Have fun at the beer garden!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bwah ha ha! Sorry, I am just picturing the day the ladies rise up in protest. You should give all your coworkers Super Soakers next year and tell them to be ready to retaliate on any dumbass male relations who think this is a fun thing to do. Possibly Super Soakers filled with egg dye. Traditional!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i wrote about this tradition once! because i read about it and was like, say what now? only the version i heard about sounded sexier.

    http://sushi.cementhorizon.com/archives/006093.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. what?!?! Wow...I will forever always be thankful to be a shallow, chocolate hungry American on Easter.

    ReplyDelete