Monday, October 26, 2009

Yes I am American


Being an American abroad is a weird experience. Especially with such a multi-national group as the one I work with. Anytime a comment is made regarding Americans I tend to get sly looks from the people making the comments, I think to make sure I'm not taking offense. And being outside of the country it's interesting to see what types of things they make fun of America for or really just the types of things they tend to comment on.

I also get lots of "you're so American". When I was younger and it was my French family telling me this, I used to take offense as it was like they were trying to point out how different I was from the rest of them, but now, I dunno.... Growing up with European parents I always used to feel like I highlighted my European background around others, because my family did not do things the way every other American family did. For example one Thanksgiving we had Mac and Cheese because my parents forgot the store closed early on Thanksgiving Day. There’s nothing wrong with it but it’s definitely different from every other American family planning a big get together for the day. Well here I'm obviously not European enough for actual Europeans so I feel like I need to just embrace my Americanness or at least not be ashamed of it.

Last night was an interesting test of this cultural split. Garren and I had some American friends that we met last week over for dinner along with one of our friends from work, who obviously is European. Last week when we got together with these girls I revealed in being around Americans and laughing at the same things, missing the same things and having the same cultural reference points. Last night while I still enjoyed this I could see from a European prospective how loud American’s can be as well as how uninformed and unaware we can come across as. It’s not that we actually are this way, I mean anyone who moves to Marrakech sight unseen is culturally adventurous and wants to know more about other places in the world, but in general the American culture is very self centered. You don’t get a lot of information about other countries either in school or on the news. It’s something that you need to actively seek out as it is not presented much in our day to day lives.

I feel like I’m babbling here but what I’m trying to say here is that a different times during the night I was uncomfortable knowing when my American side might be seen in a negative light and when the European one might be looked down upon exemplified by other people. It was a strange phenomenon and I found myself providing small commentary to clarify certain statements made by others.

For the most part I’ve found that I like both sides that I’ve grown up with, but that I am more comfortable with the American one. For obvious reasons. Maybe with more time here in Marrakech and around my co-workers my European side will make a stronger appearance. Probably not. And I’ve realized that while I enjoy visiting other places and meeting different types of people, America really is home. Or maybe that’s just the homesickness talking. I mean it has only been less than 3 months since we left. Maybe with more time here in Marrakech the thought of moving to Europe will have more appeal than moving back to the States, but for now I’m enjoying Marrakech as much as I can and looking forward to a time when Garren and I will move back home. With a lot of saved money and some amazing trips as silly, uninformed and unaware Americans under our belt.

4 comments:

  1. You stupid Americans are all alike...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to my world. I had the exact same experience when I was in France last year. And yes we are loud...but they're also uptight so...

    I ended up feeling more American than ever because I didn't have our French family around to vouch for me, you know? and after awhile I just embraced it. The reality is, for an American, you are incredibly cultured and aware of the world and if any European can't see that because of the stereotypes they have about Americans then they're worse than the Americans they're judging. Because if you can't see the difference between one type of citizen and another then you're more narrow minded than you think. So embrace it. Personally, I just feel like I don't have a country. I feel at home in the States and at home over there so I've given up trying to fit in. Just be yourself and be proud of who you are - American, French and Irish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is an awesome post! It's such a great example and so eloquently illustrates concepts I try to deal with in my own sense of identity and in my writing.

    I grew up with the exact same peccadilloes growing up half-American, half-Thai...plus some European influences thrown in for good measure. There's always a feeling of not quite fitting. And not being "American enough", "Asian enough", "European enough"...whatever. And I've struggled with whether it's a good thing or a bad thing...but mostly I figure we're better off having multiple sides to our identity, even if we don't all fit sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how Ady said it. It doesn't matter how others see you, only how you see yourself. So just be happy with who you are and they will either admire and like you or not. And if they don't, fuck them.

    ReplyDelete