Sunday, March 7, 2010

Alone Time

As many of you know I'm back in Prague. Alone. Kept Man is back in Marrakech taking care of the apartment, cooking, running, biking and hanging out with some friends.

I'm working, catching up on TV that Kept Man hates and holing up in my hotel room. A bigger hotel room than last time I might add. Same category but just a little more space. And larger windows. Kept Man is going to smack me now.

Many of you may be wondering why I didn't just stay in Marrakech. Why go back to Prague. Why separate myself from Kept Man and our life in Marrakech. There were a couple of reasons.

  1. I'm doing interesting and brain challenging things at work which is so much better than the current situation in Marrakech where I'm left with practically nothing but busy work to fill my time.
  2. I'm raising my profile in the company. I hope. Which at this point in time is pretty important.
Things aren't looking so great in Marrakech. No opening date, lots of people leaving, lots of tension. Anything I can do that results in positive impressions of me and keeping me working in the company are a priority numero uno at this point.

Unfortunately the novelty of staying in a hotel and being in another city has worn off. Basically I'm bored an lonely. And while I tell myself about all the career pluses to being here, the opportunity to have a little alone time and pleasure of watching some tv shows without groaning in the background I miss Kept Man horribly. I miss the silly faces, and the hugs and the nightly cuddles. I also miss his not so subtle pushings to make me get out of the hotel on the weekends.

I am a creature of habit and I hate to do new things. I like familiar things. I like knowing where I'm going, who will be there, what the place looks like, what's expected of me and how to act. New places and experiences have none of these things and I therefore do not like to deal with them unless pushed, prodded, or accompanied by someone familiar.

I'm sure many of you are now thinking, "how did this girl end up in Morocco?!" The answer is I pushed myself to make the move to Morocco. And I didn't think. I leapt with out looking. And I knew I would regret not having taken the opportunity and adventure when I had the chance. And I had Kept Man who gave up his job to go traipsing around Europe and North Africa with me. I had a human security blanket.

But funny thing about taking a leap it can sometimes lead you to somewhere unexpected. And the leap to Morocco has now lead me temporarily to Prague. With no familiar people, places or things. With no Kept Man and a lot of time to think. And be lonely and feel sorry for myself and lay around in bed like a bed potato. And I've decided I need some goals. To push me. To keep me active. To keep me from hiding under the blankets all weekend with only a computer as a companion. And I hope that you my very few readers will help keep me accountable for these goals. Some of them are of course more long term but I'm hoping that on the way to reaching the bigger goals to tell you all about the short term ones when I accomplish them or more amusingly when they might blow up in my face.

So in no particular order, the goals, ahem:

  • run or bike for a least 30 minutes 2 times a week
  • make it to a spin class once a week while in Prague
  • go to a Meetin Prague event
  • go to the Irish Music Festival the week of St. Patrick's Day in Prague
  • go to the opera once more in Prague
  • finish all the books I have with me in Prague
  • take a trip to the Sahara Desert with friends
  • take a trip to Essouria with Kept Man
  • try out Surf Berbere or something like it
  • become better at French
  • save for a down payment for a home
  • find a hobby I enjoy. The following are ideas to try
    • Knitting
    • Quilting
    • Biking with Kept Man
    • Photography
    • Gardening
    • Ballroom Dancing
    • Home craft projects
  • go back to school and/or take classes to help better my skills for my career
  • start a family
  • blog at least two times a week 
  • take a trip to the greek islands with Kept Man
  • go see a leg of the tour de france with Kept Man

Hold me to it people! Or tomorrow being a bed potato is going to sound even more appealing than it did today.

*Suggestions for the goal list are welcome
**Obviously not all of these goals (even the shorter term ones) will be possible in Prague or Marrakech. They're to remember later
***Amendments can and will be made to this list
****Berating is allowed in order to get me to accomplish any short term goal. 

7 comments:

  1. What?! You don't miss squishing our fruit together??

    Oh, and only a leg of the TdF? Ahem... the whole of the Pyrenees, thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. your making me giggle. As usual.

    right sorry I'll amend that....whole pyrenees portion of the tdf.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally understand what it feels like to be separated from the person you love. Erik and I were separated for five months at a time last year. And it can truly bring you down. I soooo know what you're going through. So whatever you do don't focus on that! Focus on making friends and going out! The goal list is a great idea and I will be happy to ride your ass about it all things involving self improvement. Besides, its only for a couple more weeks right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how you squashed starting a family in there with knitting and blogging. La, la, la, nothing to BABIES see here, deedle dee...so tricky!

    How come Garren's not in Prague with you?

    I also have trouble with new things. The internet helps -- if I can look up the bus route and the website for the place and read reviews from people who've been there, that helps. Dunno how many English sites deal with Prague though.

    You have already taken the huge leap, even with your human security blanket. Little leaps are hard but not as hard. You already know you can do it. Now get out there and knit something! Or make babies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was impressed by the baby thing much like Kris. =)

    I am sure you can do many of those short-term goals! Go buy a ticket for the Opera right now! Read a chapter of a book! Plan which part of the Irish festival most interests you from the website or something! I'm voting for The Craic! Tell me how they are! I use exclamation points to get you excited!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's not like I'm planning on getting knocked up right this second or anything people. Just sometime in the future.....which at this point could be a while. It's just listed for future reference. In case I forget about it or something.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tic tock, tick tock (grandma's biological clock is ticking!). Just kidding sweet pea. No hurry, no worry! Well maybe before I'm 60?!!

    No looking back re: career decisions, etc. Only think positive and I know things will work out.

    I want photos if you can get the Gar-bear to participate in ballroom dancing....but you never know!

    Love you and miss you and know that wonderful husband of you will be joining you soon.

    ReplyDelete