Sunday, February 27, 2011

Daily Grind

I've found that living abroad people always think you're doing wild, crazy and fabulous things. I even assume this about others (I'm looking at you Jade and Toby). I assume this even though I know that while living abroad sounds exotic, the truth is you're just living your day to day life as you would anywhere. A friend recently equated it to being on a roller-coaster where all the highs and lows of your normal life are strangely magnified. 

So in an effort to dispel you of the notion that we're constantly hanging out with fabulous foreigners, in exotic Czech bars drinking strange Czech beers and eating foreign delicacies, I give you a typical day in photo format.
I start my morning by getting up, rubbing sleep from my eyes and jumping in the shower
Kept Man in the meantime gets up and makes me a breakfast of oatmeal and bananas
Doesn't he look happy to be awake with me in the morning?
I make a coat selection
And bundle myself up
I walk out of our apartment building
And walk towards Andel
I ride the tram to Hellichova where I get off
And walk towards the back work entrance. The building in blue is a school. I grumble about all those damn whippersnappers take up space on the morning tram as I walk by
And I make the final turn to enter the hotel
And then I'm in the office
At my desk
working. with no window. sigh. fun times
And after crunching some numbers I leave the hotel once evening rolls around
And walk to my tram stop
Which is in front of a church
Once I get on the tram I look out the window
To see the people, cars and
shops passing by
Then I walk towards home
enter our building
climb up to our landing
And it's slipper time!
Where the man is waiting
As is the booze
and the food....mmmm chocolate fondant
And then after catching up with Kept Man and watching a couple of shows or a movie it's off to bed and in the morning it starts all over again.  And so I leave you disillusioned of our exotic Czech Republic life but hopefully smiling over a silly video of Kept Man cooking which is the best part of my day. He might soon have a job. I might go into serious withdrawals. I suppose I will survive. Wish him good luck.



10 comments:

  1. This is delightful. I love seeing your day-to-day. And I can see how it might seem boring, but viewing it from here it looks very exciting with the foreign street and a whole different kind of tram...not to mention the chocolate thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. If his job thing doesn't work out, I think you guys should start an internet show called Cooking With Nuala and Garren. I would totally subscribe. I miss hanging out with you! Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i like just woken up nuala and slipper time nuala best. so adorable.

    good luck on your job, garren!

    p.s. what kris said. i don't have that church or strawberry alcohol either. or czech whippersnappers. you're still glamorous to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome. Looks exotic to me! Trams...coldness...streets with no traffic?! All totally mythical from here. But yeah, that whole magnification thing? Totally true. I feel like life before was wrapped in several layers of gauze and suddenly all the layers have come off and I feel everything more intensely than before. But mmm...that dinner looks delicious! And the video is a fantastic idea! And you're uber cute when you just wake up. Well. Uber cute all the time, but especially so when you just wake up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whoa Jade, that sounds awful! Give me the gauze ;) Starting a new business/moving to the farm has been a little like that too.

    Thanks for the photos, Nuala, I enjoyed joining you on your ordinary day and I am sad about the no windows. I once got dressed down by a temp agency worker, when I told her I needed a job with windows. She basically said, How dare you presume to deserve sunlight!!

    Good luck on job, Garren.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. I don't know why that was so entertaining. I really enjoyed that. Thanks for a view into your day.

    Totes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is much like the "fabulous" life I supposedly live in NYC! Except mine includes many more pictures of me reading something in French while completely confused. But commute, man cooking, and booze waiting are exactly the same! Are we related?

    ReplyDelete
  8. yet again this is my third attempt to post as the computer keeps erasing it.

    To be brief
    1. I don't know why this post was entertaining either. It took me a month to post because I found it so uninspiring
    2. I miss windows. I want spring so I can go for a walk
    3. Yeah to Katy for starting her own business. I hyperventilate at the thought. And I'm enjoying the blog.
    4. Jade - Garren keeps threatening to ask you for Thai cooking tips as he thinks it wasn't good enough. (it was)
    5. I'm glad most of you think I'm adorable. I smile shyly back at you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was just so sweet. Taking a tram in Prague beats sitting in traffic on a California freeway any day! Love the cooking video, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. as long as you're smiling shyly back at us while rubbing adorable sleep from your eyes...

    ReplyDelete