Wednesday, January 20, 2010

It only took me 2 months (according to Garren)



to convince myself to buy a kindle.

At first I thought it might be an option for an xmas present, but then we nixed getting presents for each other as we were traveling over the holidays. Then I thought, I don't need one, I'll just get the books I'm dying to read when we go to London. Then the books I wanted to read had not yet been released in the UK.

Then. Then I just got depressed. I mean I have books. Books that have been sitting on my shelf for months. And I bought one or two in London (which I already finished) but there is not a big selection of new choices in Marrakech and I won't have too many trips to London. And frankly with all the weight limitations these days on flights it makes bringing them or buying them kind of a pain.

And then Jade got one for xmas. And I asked her to tell me that she hated it. She didn't. She told me it was fabulous. And then I had to tell myself it was too expensive and remember I had a lot of books on my shelf at home that I could read. And then I remembered all the books I wanted to read and how they are oh so inaccessible. And then I started obsessively reading the reviews on amazon and comparing the kindle to the sony e-reader and trying to decide which one I would get, if I could convince myself to spend the money on it.

And I'm still not sure I should have spent the money on the thing. Garren finally decided for me and told me to shut up about it and buy the damn thing and soon so he didn't have to hear about it anymore. And secretly (Garren says, "Really?! Secretly? Really!?") I'm really excited to get it.

So it's arriving. In 2-6 days. Make it 2! Probably won't be until 6. sigh. And hopefully it's as fantastic as I hope. And I won't curse it for broken non instant access to books I want to read. Hopefully it will be magic instant access to books I want to read.

I'll let you know.

2 comments:

  1. Yay! Can't wait to hear what you think about it! I'm still amazed half the books I've downloaded already are free! F.R.E.E.! And the rest? Under ten bucks a pop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, Jade's got me wanting one now too... I've got waaaaay too many toys

    ReplyDelete