Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Virtual Coffee

If we were meeting for coffee today I would probably order a glass of wine as you can do that in most cafes in Prague and it's getting to be evening time here and I'm ready to relax. I'd also want to thank you for listening last week. I know I was a little down but I'm trudging along doing just fine.

This weekend was too short as I worked on Saturday. I had a lovely Sunday though. Kept Man and I tried Cafe Savoy for the first time. I enjoyed it a lot. English papers to read, great coffee and home made jams. It was yummy and relaxing. Kept Man thought it was a bit on the expensive side and mostly comprised of more well to do people but I would be happy to go back and spend another Sunday there. The rest of my Sunday was spent napping and reading. Bliss.

On the bright side of such a short weekend, I'm taking a day off tomorrow to compensate. I was itching to do something so I planned a date day for Kept Man and me. We're going for massages in the morning and dinner at SaSaZu in the evening. I've been craving SaSaZu for a few weeks. The service is mediocre but the food more than makes up for it. What we are going to do in between these two appointments I have no idea. Maybe shopping? I've been wanting new boots but apparently the spring collections are in the stores now and no boots are to be had. sigh. I miss internet shopping. It is so much more convienent to have things show up at your door then plow through stores.

In other news it has turned very cold here the last few days. I miss the temperate California climate and am extremely looking forward to spring. When we first moved into our apartment we were just moving into winter and I was looking forward to hibernating, but the last few weeks I've been feeling restless and I'm looking forward to warmer weather so that Kept Man and I can go on some adventures. We may fit in one ski weekend before winter is officially over. Course I don't ski, but I'll try.

If we were really meeting for coffee I would be sure to tell you about this new website I heard about from my friend Michele that uses the new Kindle Lending feature so that you can borrow books from other Kindle owners. It's called Booklending.com and it is pretty awesome. I've already loaned some of my books and am looking forward to trying to borrow someone else's book after I finish my current reading material. They only negative thing is that the publishers decide if the book is lendable or not and of course many of the books I would like to "borrow" are not available for lending. I wish the book publishers would wake up and realize they are only hurting themselves by limiting the options for e-books. It's especially a hot topic with me since I am living outside of the United States and the main way I get my books now is electronically.

And then I would stop ranting about publishers and their e-book policies and ask how your week was and what is new with you. Once we were all caught up I would finish my glass and get ready to leave. It's the end of my day and I'm looking forward to heading home and sleeping in tomorrow.

Thanks for joining me for coffee this week and I'm looking forward to seeing you next week!


Photobucket

6 comments:

  1. Hmm...booklending, huh? That sounds kind of cool! Although, yeah. Totally not surprised publishers make only some books lendable. I really wish they would just get on-board with the whole ebook thing. You'd think they'd like it: lower costs of production, more authors they can support...sigh.
    Food & massages sound lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. also it's a two week lending period and not everyone is like me, yes? some people might not finish the book in time and then would have to buy their own. or they would love it so much they would buy their own to have always on hand anyway. like i would and do sometimes when i borrow a hard copy and then buy it.

    also, why do you not name me by name, yo? where's the love?

    weirdly, i actually kind of miss shopping in stores. grass is always greener, i guess. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. um, my point which i feel now is maybe not clear is that publishers need to not be ass-hats and realize that lending first is a good way to make people buy books. not lending is a good way for people not to even bother taking a risk on a book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. okay I've tried to post a comment three times and it deletes it without posting every time so

    1. Michele love. I have added your name as reference to give credit where credit is due.

    2. publishers suck. lending should be for all books. pirating will suck their profits unless they change their position.

    Now post damn you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think Erik and I went to the Savoy with some friends when we were there! They had lived in Prague for a few years and took us there and it was GOOD. Very jealous of couples massages and dinner...very, very jealous.

    ReplyDelete