Monday, October 25, 2010

Wiener Schnitzel wha?


Kept Man and I went to Vienna for the weekend. We walked, we gawked and we did what we do best, we ate.

Wiener Schnitzel is probably the most well known traditional Viennese dish. Now being an uncouth American with no real prior knowledge of wiener schnitzel do you know what I automatically thought of? You get a prize if you yelled sausages. Most Americans would because of this lovely chain of fast food restaurants.

But here's the thing, true wiener schnitzel doesn't even involve sausage. Nope. It involves veal being breaded and deep fried. So while not sausage wiener schnitzel is still pretty tasty (and fun to say). I didn't try the traditional wiener schnitzel. I had the hausschnitzel at a traditional beisl we visited (although I've just learned it's also called a Salzburger Schnitzel) which instead of veal was pork with the added benefit of being stuffed with cheese, onions and bacon and then breaded and deep fried. I like to really go for the calories when I'm out on the road. I also got a nice side of boiled potatoes.

Our Vienna food tour also involved beer, wine, cheese, hot chocolate, coffee, macaroons, and curry wurst, but sadly no cake. But more on all that later.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my god that sounds amazing. And now I'm really hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i made schnitzel once. with...pork, i think. it was tasty and stuffed and breaded and all those things. it might have been chicken. in fact, it was definitely chicken.

    true story.

    ReplyDelete