Wednesday, October 14, 2009

A London we will go


So I had a whole post ready to go waiting just for pictures and then…Garren stole the pictures and posted about the same thing.

Suffice to say fajitas with homemade tortillas, amazing. Next Garren’s going to find a way to make corn tortillas for chips. If you cared to know the same night he made curry I made carrot cupcakes. Cream Cheese frosting worked ok. I think I need more cheese to stiffen it up, or stiffer butter, but next I want to try to recreate my pumpkin cupcakes. I don’t think I’ll have luck finding canned pumpkin but I’ve got my eye out for an actual pumpkin.

The news today is that we have bought tickets to London over Christmas. My boss finally approved my vacation and while the rates have gone up since we first started talking about it, Garren and I have two months to save and we’ve been able to save quite a bit here in Morocco so far, so it’s not the end of the world. We’re going to be in the UK for about 10 days. We’re hoping to go up to Scotland for a few days to do some whisky tasting. It was a trip that came up even before we left for Morocco and Michele was at one time just trying to get Garren to go from California on a trip anywhere and thought Scotland would be the one to entice him the most.

Garren’s doing some research to find out the best way for us to get up to Scotland, how to get around and where to stay. After that we’ll return to London to stay with family friends over the holiday. Garren and I are really excited to have a “real” xmas. He hasn’t not worked over xmas in years and our xmas since we met have not been stellar so it will be nice to relax with good company and enjoy some cold holiday appropriate weather.

Speaking of appropriate weather, last year when we went to Chicago for our annual December trip we swore we would go somewhere tropical and warm the next December. The time before we were in New York. Now we’re planning on leaving warm Morocco for cold and rainy Scotland and England. We’re not very bright sometimes.

If anyone has any suggestions about what we should do or see in Scotland or England, let us know. We’re all ears.

7 comments:

  1. Ooh! So fun. I had a great time in England for Xmas last year (though I missed my family). Just walking around London and seeing all the lights and stuff was great. We also got to go see some hunts on Boxing Day, but I assume you'll be in London then. Not so many country pursuits there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You need to go to the Cabinet War Rooms and the Churchill Museum (same place) because Garren's parents (and me ) would really like to go there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to go to Scotchland... jeez, I'm already slurring my words.

    Scotchy Scotch Scotch. I love scotch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad to hear you'll be heading up to England/Scotland over Christmas! Scotland... as you know is the land of your husband's (Mr.Scotchy Scotch Scotch) ancestors! Most are spread out, but some are still up in Nairn. My grandfather was born and raised there. His last name was Leslie (hence my first name). While we were there we looked in the phone book under the name Leslie and found numerous listings, like Smith is in the states!

    Ditto to Eydie. Andrew and Michelle did visit the Cabinet War Rooms/Churchill Museum felt it was a tremendous experience.

    While in Edinburgh visit Holyrood Palace, Edinburg Castle and walk the Royal Mile. Also, spend time in the local pubs (we had a really great time in the pubs!) More tips and info to come...

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you're going to be spending Christmas with Christine and the extended London family. We'll miss you though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nuala I just discovered your blog via Facebook - wow. I went back and read some of your posts, and got a little teary eyed at the wedding pictures. You looked so beautiful and happy and I'm so happy for you and your husband. And Morocco?! That's insanely exciting! I'm going to be following the blog from now on - I can live vicariously! XO Jess

    ReplyDelete